Bacterial Vaginosis is one of the common conditions women face every single day of their lives.Bv affects around 29% of women in the unites states alone.
What is Bacterial Vaginosis
The vagina has both good and bad bacteria but if something distorts the balance of the bacteria, You get an infection called bacterial vaginosis .
It is one of the common causes of vaginal discharge among women in child bearing ages .
There a few facts to know about bacterial vaginosis and these include :
- Bv happens when there is an overgrowth of a bacteria in the vagina.
- It can treated with antiobiotics
- It is not sexually transmitted
- In some women ,Bv is recurring
- BV increases the chances your body being infected with sexually transmitted infections forexample Hiv ,Gonorrhoea,Syphills,Trichomonos and chlamydia.
Causes of bacterial Vaginosis
The causes of Bv are not well understood since there is no specific living organisms that cause the infections .
The vagina has both good bacteria and good bacteria but if the bad exceeds the good ,you will get an infections ,The good bacteria in the vagina is called lactobacilli and any drop will develop into an infection.
Lactobacilli keeps your vagina acidic and prevents the overgrowth of harmful bacteria in your vagina.
Anything that upsets the balance of the bacteria will cause bacterial vaginosis.
Even when the main causes of bacterial vaginosis are not clear ,Below are the likely causes and these include :
- Having multiple sex partners or a newsex partner
- Oral sex
- Sitting on toilet.
- Spread in swimming pools.
- Intenstinal worms’
- Oral contraceptives
- Deodorant sprays
- Deficiency of vitamin B
- Over using antibiotic
- Too tight clothes
Symptoms of Vaginal Vaginosis
Some women do not experience any symptom of bacterial vaginosis but if you experience some symptoms, below are the identifiers to help you notice BV
Changes in your vaginal discharge
The discharge changes its color to white or gray involving a fishy or sour smell especially after sexual intercourse.
The vaginal discharge may be thicker lasting longer than normal .
Your vagina can burn when you urinating or when having sex. Many women with Bv experience this symptom
Despite vagina itching being caused by many conditions,Vaginal vaginosis is one of the major causes.
How is BV treated?
Bv is treated with an antibiotic known as metronidazole which can be taken as a single dose or taken for 5 to 7 days .
You can treat Bv by also inserting clindaymycin cream or Metronisazole gel .
It is best you ask your doctor about it before you start using anything.
However, some people treat Bv with natural natural remedies .
When using metronidazole gel or tablets ,you should avoid drinking alchol after taking the treatment for 48 hours because alchol interacts with the treatment and can make you feel sick or nausated
Avoid using condoms if you applied intravaginal clindamycin because it weakens the condoms .
Prevention of Bacterial Vaginosis
The only way to prevent Bv is avoiding all possible things that upset the balance of the bacteria in your vagina.
- Avoid douching
- Frequent bathing and washing
- Asking your partners to get examined with BV
- Use condoms when having sex
- Avoid douching
- Wash your vagina regulary
Questions people ask about BV
What happens if I don’t get treated?
If you do not treat Bv ,You increase the risk of :
- Sexually transmitted diseases like gonorrohoe ,Hiv ,Herpes and Chlamydia
- Early child birth if you pregnant
- Pelvic Inflammatory Diseases which involves Bv bacteria affecting the fallopian tubes and the uterus .
- An infection after certain procedures like abortion,surgery,cesarean section