Vaginal atrophy involves dryness, thinking, and inflammation of your vaginal walls and it’s also a condition known as Atrophic vaginitis.
A number of treatments can be provided with patients with vaginal atrophy but we shall only discuss the natural remedies and lifestyle changes that can be used or practiced.
Symptoms of vaginal atrophy
Just like any other disease, vaginal atrophy has a number of various symptoms but they do vary in different women and not all women will experience all of them.
Possible symptoms of vaginal atrophy include:
- Loss of sex appetite
- Itching and vaginal dryness
- Vaginal discharge
- Shortening and tightening of your vagina
- Frequent urinary tract infections
- Bleeding during sex
- Low level of lubrication during sex
- The thin and pale appearance of your vagina
Causes of vaginal atrophy
- Contraceptives. Pills tend to reduce the estrogen levels in women and hence causing vaginal atrophy.
- Age. It can also be caused by age especially for women who are going to their menopause or those after menopause. This is because the ovaries stop producing enough estrogen.
Estrogen is a female hormone responsible for supporting women’s sexual development
It also controls the menstrual cycle of a woman.
It affects the brain and has an impact on a person’s mood.
It helps in supporting the skin and bones healthy.
All in all, the main cause of vaginal atrophy is a reduction in the amount of estrogen produced by the body which comes up as a result of:
- Childbirth or breastfeeding
- Use of certain types of birth control pills.
- Lack of arousal when about to have sexual intercourse.
- Cancer treatments like radiotherapy, hormonal cancer treatment and chemotherapy to the pelvic region.
Natural Remedies for Vaginal Atrophy
There are a number of various lifestyle changes that would help you relieve and treat vaginal atrophy and these are:
1. Stay sexually active.
This is because it will increase the flow of blood to your vagina hence helping it to stay healthy. Make it a point to stay sexually active.
2. Stop smoking.
Smoking contributes to the reduction in your estrogen levels hence causing vaginal atrophy, so by reducing it, you will be controlling and minimizing the risk of vaginal atrophy.
3. Stay hydrated.
Do your best to take a lot of water and drinks in order to stay hydrated.
4. Stop and avoid using perfumed products nonexample deodorants
soaps and powders around your pot of heaven.
This is because some spermicides and lubricants do irritate your happy vagina hence causing vaginal dryness.
5.Execute regular exercises and physical activity for hormonal balance
Diet and vaginal atrophy
A number of supplements and diet tips have been suggested as possible treatments for vaginal atrophy even thou there is limited scientific evidence to support the claims.
If you have vaginal atrophy, it’s best you meet and discuss with your doctor about the available dietary changes and herbal supplements that may be available before you change your lifestyle
There are various natural remedies that can help relieve the symptom of vaginal atrophy and these include:
- Aloe Vera
- Coconut oil
- Vitamin E composed foods and supplement to help prevent infections and also stimulate normal vaginal mucosa.
- Probiotic foods., probiotics composed foods like yogurt have a bacteria that is healthy for humans and it helps in relieving the symptoms of vaginal atrophy. Probiotics are also great for treating urinary tract infections in women.
Other Forms of Treatment
Even thou natural remedies and lifestyle changes work, there are several medications that can be used in treating vaginal atrophy and these include:
- Vaginal moisturizers. These can be applied 2 to 3 days and they will help in keeping your vagina moist, they are better than lubricants because they provide longer results.
- Water-based lubricants should be used to avoid discomfort during sexual intercourse
- Oral estrogen should also be used.
- An estrogen ring can be inserted in your vagina to release estrogen
- Estrogen therapy can be used, this may be informed of pills, gels or tablet
What effect does a woman with a history of breast cancer have on the various treatment options?
A woman with a past of breast cancer should consult the doctor regarding any possible treatment.
This is because estrogen can be very harmful to women with a past of breast cancer. Because cancer is sensitive to hormones, Taking estrogen may increase the risk of getting cancer again and that is why estrogen therapy is not recommended highly.
But there are various treatments that can be used by a woman with breast cancer and these include.
1.Non-hormonal treatments like lubricants and moisturizers
2.Low-dose of vaginal estrogen if non-hormonal treatments have totally failed.
When you should see a doctor
In most cases, women are embarrassed about vaginal atrophy but you shouldn’t be because its a very common condition and it can be treated in various ways.
You should meet the doctor if you have symptoms of vaginal atrophy. This will help you get the best health to advise from a specialist.